Sunday, October 21, 2007

Yama, Asteya (Not Stealing)

Asteya is not stealing. It’s not looking outside of ourselves for things, other people or situations to bring happiness to us. It is not taking something that has not been given freely. Asteya is not looking at our lives and focusing on what we feel we lack, but enjoying the gifts we already have.

Not too long ago I got the book, "Altars of Power and Grace" (see Books and Inspiring Reading on this site) and learned, among other things, how to create an abundance altar. As I was amassing the essentials, I asked myself what I want in abundance. Love was the first answer. Peace, faith and wisdom followed. And comfortable finances would be helpful too, I thought. A significant piece of the altar is to place a personal symbol that represents the result we’re hoping for. Mine is a symbol representing yoga because yoga encompasses all that I aspire to. Bringing the various aspects of yoga such as contentment (santosha) and the physical practice (asana) etc. into my awareness and practicing them have changed my life in so many positive ways.

Living in the yogic way brings about such abundance in our lives because we want for nothing that exists outside of ourselves. We no longer feel that sense of lack that may drive us to take when we should not. We learn that most of what we need is within.

So my altar has become a reminder of all that I do have. I have a lot of love. I have faith and am acquiring wisdom. I have many times of peacefulness and am comfortable. And when I light my altar, instead of asking for more, I give thanks for what I already have.

Asteya pratishthayam sarvaratna upasthanam.  (Upon being established in non-stealing, there occurs the attainment of all prosperity.)
-Patanjali Yoga Sutras ii:37

Namaste.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great blog. I never thought of stealing in this way before, akin to "coveting" things that are not yours. Perhaps this aspect is reflected in the Old Testament and the commandment to not covet?

Erika Frykman, RYT 500 said...

Thank you so much for your thoughts. I am teaching an asana class incorporating an exploration on the yamas and niyamas, and your interpretation of Asteya is inspiring to me. Namaste.